Spring Lamb Crépinettes*
Rain Shadow Meat's BBQ Recipe
Russ has been making Crépinettes for years and are very popular at the shop and any backyard BBQ dinners, especially Fourth of July. They are great on the grill but can also be pan seared or broiled. Crépinettes are really anything wrapped in Caul fat and Caul fat is a fatty membrane that wraps around the stomach of all animals. Pork Caul fat is the most commonly used opposed to beef or lamb. In this case it acts as casing for our lamb, fennel and Rosemary Sausage. We hope you enjoy the long weekend and holiday and be sure to let us know if you give this recipe a try!
- 2.5 lbs Ground lamb shoulder
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped or pureed
- 1.5 tablespoon Ground Toasted Fennel Seed
- 1 tablespoon Ground Black Peppercorns
- 1.5 teaspoon Red Chili Flake (optional)
- .1 oz chopped Rosemary, thyme, savory or tarragon (optional herbs parsley, basil and chives)
- 1 heaping table spoon /.5oz. Kosher Salt
- ¼ cup Red Wine
- 1 full sheet Pork Caul fat
- Preheat oven to 400 degree or grill to high
- Place Caul Fat in a bowl of water, let soak for 10 min.
- Toast fennel seeds in saute pan over med-high heat, tossing constantly until they turn a light brown and fragrant, takes about 3-5 min.
- Place hot fennel seeds on plate and in refrigerator until cool. Place chilled fennel seed and black peppercorns in spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind to a fine dust
- Rough chop herbs
- Add all ingredients to lamb and mix well
- Form .25 lb patties about 2 in. round and 1 in. tall
- Remove caul fat from water and let drain, squeezing out any excess water
- Spread caul fat out and place formed lamb sausage in corner and cut just enough to cover patty, sealing caul fat on one side.
- If using stove top and oven: heat saute pan and 1 table spoon olive oil on med-high, once oil begins to smoke add crépinette. Cook on one side for 3 min. or until it begins to brown. Flip and let cook on other side for about 2 min. and place in hot oven for about 5-7 mins. Flipping once to ensure even cooking. Pull out of oven and let rest for 5 min.
- If using the grill, place crépinette on a hot spot on the grill until it begins to brown 3 min. flip and once brown on both sides, move to a cooler spot on the grill, cook for another 5-8 min flipping once. Pull off grill and let rest for 5 min.
- Serve with a spring green salad, Romesco sauce & grilled leeks or spring onions, or a pesto pasta salad
*Yields about 10 ¼ lb crépinettes